Sunday, May 22, 2011

Two biggies

We’ve heard many times that there are two elements needed for a successful marriage.
Women need Love// Men need Respect. We thought it would be fun to dissect these two concepts a bit and share our perspectives.


Love: DJ can show that he loves me by listening to me and being interested in the things going on in my life. He can ask me questions and make an effort to discover who I am beneath the surface. He can spend time with me. This may be doing activities or sitting and talking or even reading together, enjoying the silence. He can appreciate and accept me for who I am and not compare me to others. He can value our marriage, and the strengths that I bring to the table. He can be patient with me as I continue to mature as an individual and as a wife, and help me grow in the areas that need improvement. He can challenge me to pursue my goals and not give up when things get difficult. He can remember things like my birthday, our anniversary, and other dates that are important to me. He can celebrate with me when we reach a milestone, or I accomplish something and he can have empathy when I’m frustrated or sad. He can encourage me by reading the bible with me and praying with me. He can be faithful to me and to our marriage. He can verbalize to me {often} how he feels about me and why he is glad that he chose me. And he can be giving of himself and his resources and hold nothing back. Lastly, he can be kind and give me grace even when I don't deserve it {which is really what grace is all about}.
*This may be different for every person, but for me, this is love*
~Mrs. P

Respect: Danielle can show me respect by not demeaning me or throwing me under the bus in public/family settings. She can let me show affection to her without pushing me off of her, or acting grossed out to save face including letting me hold her hand in public. She doesn't have to laugh at all my jokes, but please don't scoff at me to my own downfall. She can let me open doors for her, or let me pull her seat out for her wherever we go. Having her tell me how she appreciates me for going to school full time and working full time is a plus (since she's already done that and graduated). We have a pact to never compare days ("mine was harder than yours") and in that, we will continue to work as a team and pick up slack when the other may be fried that day. She can respect me by hearing me out when I'm trying to make a point, since it's not very often that I am serious and those are the times i feel I really need to be heard. She can ask my opinion and take it into account whether or not that is the path chosen. Last and most important of all, she can respect me by never listening to Justin Bieber in my presence.
~Mr. P

No comments:

Post a Comment