Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Ginger Conspiracy

There are funny things about being a ginger {red head}. We have freckles on our lips. We can get sunburned just walking to the car in the summer. And hey, “we’ve got an SPF for that!” What do you get when you put two gingers together in one little home? Lots of fun, lots of loudness, lots of silly arguments, and lots of making up. If anyone questions the stereotype about hair color and personality, I can attest to it being true for the Parhams. I’m stubborn, emotional, and when I’m upset-don’t come too close. Please, just don't. Being aware of these tendencies is nice, but still it is hard to outsmart your personality. Besides the fact that DJ and I are both stubborn by nature, we are also pretty much opposite of each other in the way we operate. We took a Color Q personality test (version of Myer’s Briggs) and it came as no surprise that DJ is a gold/blue, and I am a green/red. In basic terms, it means that we see the world through very different perspectives. That is okay and actually it’s pretty great because of the whole balancing each other out thing, but it’s a recipe for conflict sometimes, too. We have tough times when we aren’t willing to try and see the other’s point of view. It takes concentrated effort to live harmoniously. We are also both introverted which means we need space and alone time to function at our best. I think being aware of our hot buttons and our partner’s is vital to success. After all, we chose each other, we chose to get married, and married we will remain. So far, it’s been 4 months of wedded learning-growing-crying-hugging-laughing-hollering-pillow throwing-bliss. 
~Mrs. P

Single me (DJ) had a list of Do's and Don'ts when it came to women I would date. 1 - I would not date a woman that on one hand would express indifference to where they would like to go to dinner, but then on the other hand remain incredibly picky as to suggestions being made. 2 - I wouldn't date a woman that didn't love Star Wars and Harry Potter but I guess life goes on. 3 - I wouldn't date another ginger because they can be amazingly stubborn! I ended up breaking all these rules to be with Danielle. I thought that these things would spell disaster, but being with Danielle has been quite a blessing in itself. Sure she is different than I am on some functionality levels but the foundation remains firm. I like this arrangement because when I set out to marry someone, I wanted a partner that would be strong in the areas that I'm weak. She's more organized, has more passion, and is cleaner than I am. These are just a few areas that she balances me out in. So even though I broke a couple cheesy rules, it was for the greater good of DJ-kind. Thanks lady ;)
~Mr. P

No comments:

Post a Comment